I have a footer with some content that appears on every page:
My requirements for this footer are:
- The footer must be identical on every page, and it should not be possible for an editor or administrator to remove the footer, re-order the components, or change the content on a per-page basis
- The editor should be able to choose whether there are two, three, or four components in the footer
- The editor should be able to edit the content in each component
- The solution must work for a multi-site installation
The options I have come up with are:
- Have a ‘footer’ root folder in a configuration folder with a number of ‘component’ children – the footer sublayout finds the footer root folder by template, loops through the children and outputs the content, but caps the number at 4
- Have a ‘footer’ configuration item with a ‘components’ multi-list and a ‘sublayout’ droptree – pick the sublayout that you want to use (two column block, three column block, four column block) and for each item selected in the multi-list, dynamically add the chosen sublayout to a placeholder and set the item as the data source
The second option doesn’t seem particularly clean, and the first option is a very different way of adding content compared to the usual ‘add component’ > ‘set datasource’.
How would you solve this problem? Do you think that it is a relevant use case?